If there’s one thing a Yorkshireman loves, it’s a chippy tea. Such a thing is sacred. Whether it be a lightly battered cod, sausage and chips or the classic chip butty – we Northerners just can’t get enough. Even over lockdown, fish and chips were the most-ordered take away – and we’d put a tenner on it being Yorkshire folk that made up for most of those orders.
Honouring the coveted cuisine the only way any of us would know how (by sampling it!), big TV chef Nick Nairn spoke to The Sun recently, picking out some top chippies across whole of Britain – even including one of our favourite ever chippies from good ol’ Whitby.
Here’s the full list of what he deemed to be the fish and chips hall of fame:
- Aldeburgh Fish & Chips, Suffolk
- Hanbury’s, Torquay, Devon
- Anstruther Fish Bar, Fife, Scotland
- Lyme’s Fish Bar, Lyme Regis, Dorset
- Peter’s Fish Factory, Margate, Kent
- The Bay Fish & Chips, Stonehaven
- Bentley’s Fish & Chips, Blackpool
- D. Fecci & Sons, Tenby
- Fraser’s Fish & Chips, Penzance
- Maggie’s Fish & Chips, Hastings
- The Magpie Cafe, Whitby
- Colmans, South Shields, Tyne & Wear
Naturally, The Magpie Cafe also made the list of our best fish & chips in Whitby round-up. All we’d say of the list is, there ain’t enough Yorkshire on it!