If there’s anywhere in the world that knows a good chippy, it’s Yorkshire. From our glorious seaside towns and fishing villages, to our quintessentially Northern towns and cities. We know good grub, and we’re proud of being British (more specifically, Yorkshire).
The team behind the Good Food Award have been working their way around the UK, this time to figure out the best chippies in the UK with their Good Chippy Award, specifically noting delicious, fresh food and great customer service as decision factors.
Topping the list was of course Whitby’s Magpie Cafe, which “demonstrated exceptional levels of food quality, service and value”, something a number of locals and regular Whitby tourists will proudly stand behind. The Magpie Cafe offers unbeatable views of Whitby and the harbour, while serving up a wide selection of fish dishes for guests to enjoy.
Here’s the full list of Yorkshire chippies being commended for their excellent food and service:
- Magpie Cafe, Whitby
- Seabreeze Fish n Chips, Redcar
- Oliver’s Fish & Chip, Redcar
- The Blue Whale Fish Bar, Maltby
- The Katch, Northallerton
- Casey’s Fish & Chip Shop, Ossett
- Fish Dish, Bradford
- Goldenfry, Hull
- Castle Fisheries, Richmond
- The Funky Fish, Hull
- Ranmoor Friery, Sheffield
- Cave Street Fisheries, Hull
- Clarkies Traditional Fisheries, Leeds
- Hill Top Village Fisheries, Slaithwaite
- Croft Street Fisheries, Pudsey
The Good Chippy Awards come just one month after the National Fish and Chip Awards, where Whitby chippy The Fisherman’s Wife was named the fourth best in the UK.