You can’t get more Northern than pie, can you? So it comes as no surprise that we make it pretty damn well. Turns out the British Pie Awards agree too, awarding a large number of Yorkshire businesses with Gold, Silver and Bronze awards during this year’s recognitions. The world-renowned awards take place annually and see hundreds of pies submitted every single year, making for a whole lot of competition.
Leading the pack for us Yorkshire folk was the Yorkshire Pie Bakery in Leeds, who won the Steak and Onion Pie category with their entry. Following the glory was Castleford’s The Butcher and the Baker, who were highly commended in the Yorkshire Slicing Pie category. It’s only right a Yorkshire business came out on top, after all.
Here’s the list of Gold and Silver awarded businesses in the region:
- The Butcher and the Baker Ltd, Castleford – Yorkshire Slicing Pie (Gold Award)
- Yorkshire Pie Bakery, Leeds – Steak and Onion Pie (Gold Award)
- The Russian Food Company, Sheffield – Cream Mushroom Pie’wich and the Triple Cheese Pie’wich (Gold Award)
- Thornton’s Bakehouse & Butchers, York – Thornton’s Chunky Steak Pie (Gold Award)
- The Chestnut Horse Inn, Driffield – Cleveland Bay (Silver Award) and American Paint Horse (Silver Award)
- Stephenson’s Butchers, Leeds – Pork Pie (Silver Award)
- Di’s Pies, Halifax – Signature Steak Pie (Silver Award)
- Sturdy Foods, Ripon – Yorkshire Steak and Black Pudding Pie (Silver Award)
- The George at Hubberholme, Skipton – Beef and Blue Cheese (Silver Award)
- Birtleys At The Queens, Skipton – Littondale Lamb Pie (Silver Award)
The British Pie Awards celebrates the craft and skill of British piemakers, with over 900 entries being considered for the awards. This year, Turner’s Pies from West Sussex took home the crown, winning the supreme prize with their Steak and Stilton Cheese pie.
[Featured image: Unsplash]