Us Yorkshire folk love a good chippy tea, and after reading this list I reckon I’ll be having fish & chips for my dinner today with extra scraps – of course.
And, it’s not surprising we’ve such a fondness for the humble meal when we have some of the greatest fish & chips in the country – and if you’re from Hull like us – the addictive chip spice to coat your chips in.
And we have a range of chippies from God’s Own Country featured in this year’s shortlist for best chippy along with best newcomer as well. That’s right! Four Yorkshire fish & chips shops have made it into the top 20 shortlist for the National Fish & Chip Awards 2023 – which is no surprise to us of course.
The awards are set to take place February 28th in London presented by Northern comedian and actor Jason Mansford. Fingers crossed that Yorkshire brings home the gold.
Check out which Yorkshire chippies have been shortlisted for this year’s awards below:
Fish and Chip Takeaway of the Year
- Fishermans Bay, Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
- Fish Kitchen, Maesycwmmer, Caerphilly
- Whiteheads Fish and Chips, Hornsea, East Yorkshire
- Shipdeck, Trethomas, Caerphilly
- The Bearded Sailor, Pudsey, Yorkshire
- The Fish Bank, Elemet, West Yorkshire
- Low’s Traditional Fish & Chips, Westhill, Aberdeenshire
- The Oyster Shell, Bath, Somerset
- Auckley Friery, Auckley, Doncaster
- The Fish Works, Largs, North Ayrshire
- Haughton Fish & Chips, Haughton, Staffordshire
- Lighthouse Fisheries Of Flamborough, Flamborough, East Yorkshire
- Hendo’s Fish & Chips, Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk