If you’re looking for somewhere to enjoy this ‘heatwave’ in Yorkshire this week, we’ve got the perfect place for you. One of Yorkshire’s beautiful sandy beaches has been named in the top 20 beaches in Europe by a prestigious American travel guide.
Far & Wide has created a list of some of Europe’s best beaches based on TripAdvisor reviews and the Yorkshire beach beat out the likes of France and Italy to be named 18th best beach, which is a huge accolade.
Filey beach nicknamed ‘Smiley Filey’ makes the list of top beaches in the world ever more frequently these days due to its five-mile-long stretch of sands along the North Sea.
The stunning stretch of golden sands, gorgeous views and natural surroundings are a stark contrast to the two popular seaside resorts of Scarborough and Bridlington that Filey sits between. Just off the Cleveland Way the spot offers a breath of fresh air as well as beautiful clifftop views to enjoy.
The Mayor of Filey, councillor Jacqui Houlden-Banks, said: “There’s a reason it’s called ‘smiley Filey’ – it’s because of the joy it brings to everyone.
“The magic of Filey is the unspoilt beach that both residents and visitors love.
“It is appreciated and enjoyed for its cleanliness and its space.
“It’s set in a beautiful bay setting with additional benefits of wildlife and birds and even dolphins! For the last month now we’ve had a small school merrily playing in the bay every day.”
“We pride ourselves on having something for everyone” The Mirror reported.
Check out the full list of top 20 beaches in Europe below:
- Spiaggia dei Conigli, Sicily
- Playa de Cofete, Morro del Jable, Spain
- Praia da Falesia, Olhas de Agua, Portugal
- La Concha, Donastia, Spain
- Bournemouth, England
- Balos Lagoon, Crete
- Elafonissi, Crete
- Plage de Santa Giulia, France
- Kleftiko, Cyclades, Greece
- Porthminster, Cornwall, England
- Fellsfjara (Diamond Beach), Jokulsarlon, Iceland
- Playa de Ses Illetes, Formentera, Spain
- Sarakiniko, Cyclades, Greece
- Reynisfjara, Vik, Iceland
- Sotavento, Costa Calma, Spain
- Perranporth, Cornwall, England
- Fig Tree Bay, Protaras, Cyprus
- Filey, Yorkshire, England
- Plage du Sillon, St. Malo, France
- Spiaggia di Sansone Portoferraio, Italy
Yorkshire’s seaside resorts were noted for being the best value to go a beach holiday with items such as fish & chips, ice creams and donuts being cheaper than any other town in the UK, you can fin out more by clicking the link below.
Read More: Yorkshire Seaside Fish & Chips Named Cheapest In The UK
Feature Image Credit: Photo © phillip andrew carl taylor (cc-by-sa/2.0)