It’s always interesting to compare how much you can get for your money in a city compared to life in towns and villages around the UK. Two of Yorkshire’s cities have been included in the most affordable cities to live in the UK, according to an analysis from Halifax.
The most affordable city in Yorkshire was Bradford, which drew Carlisle in second place. The average house price of £164,410 and average earnings of £34,219, make it an inexpensive place to live. Bradford Bradford has a well-earned reputation for some of the finest Asian food in the UK and has been crowned Curry Captial of Britain for six years in a row. It sits next door to Leeds, which is Yorkshire’s biggest city – making it perfect for commuting.
East Yorkshire’s only city, Hull, came in joint eighth place with Inverness. The average house price was £155,424, and the average earnings were £27,730. Hull sits on the Yorkshire coast, which is home to some of the most beautiful scenery in the country. Since it was made the City of Culture back in 2017, Hull has seen a transformation – especially around the Marina – where you can enjoy a few cocktails and a lovely stroll down Humber Street’s Fruit Market.
No Yorkshire cities were found on the list of top 20 most expensive places to live, which was mostly dominated by southern locations.
Russell Galley, managing director, Halifax, said: “Affordability is significantly better in the north and there are now just two cities – Plymouth and Portsmouth – with better than average affordability in the south.”
Here are the top 20 most affordable cities in 2021, according to Halifax (Includes house prices and average wage):
- Londonderry, Northern Ireland, 4.7, £155,917, £33,138
- Carlisle, North, 4.8, £163,232, £34,087
- Bradford, Yorkshire and the Humber, 4.8, £164,410, £34,219
- Stirling, Scotland, 5.4, £208,927, £38,744
- Aberdeen, Scotland, 5.4, £205,199, £38,016
- Glasgow, Scotland, 5.4, £196,625, £36,205
- Perth, Scotland, 5.5, £203,229, £36,700
- Inverness, Scotland, 5.6, £191,840, £34,373
- Hull, Yorkshire and the Humber, 5.6, £156,424, £27,730
- Dundee, Scotland, 5.8, £181,150, £31,344
Read More: This Yorkshire Village Has Been Named Prettiest Village In The North Of England