Being a Yorkshireman is a privilege that you are born with and something to shout about. You have to feel pity for those out there that haven’t been born with the same honour. You can’t just move to God’s Own County and call yourself one. From our use of language to our ways, there is plenty learn. But, if you’d like to get close, then these are a few things that many of us Yorkshire folk have had happen to us or heard in our time in this glouritous county.
1. Understood every single word spoken by someone from Barnsley.
2. Can translate this: “Nah then barn wheat tha bin put wood it oil were thi born in a barn.”
3. Been On Ilkla Mooar baht.
4. Got short arms & deep pockets.
It’s a tough old game trying to get a Yorkshireman to part wi’ his cash.
5. Said: “Do you pay the electric bill?” when your kids leave all the lights on.
6. Said: “Turn the lights off! It’s like Blackpool illuminations in ‘ere”.
7. Said: “How much?” when buying a crap pint down south.
8. If you don’t live by the motto:
“Ear all, see all, say nowt;
Eyt all, sup all, pay nowt
And if ivver tha does owt fer nowt
Allus do it fer thissen”.
9. Not sat next to your wife ‘ont a plane going on honeymoon cos it saves you 14 quid.
10. Said: “I’m going to the Halifax to see how far it is”.
11. Swam the straits of Johor barefoot with your pumps tied round your neck, and punched a shark reet in f***ing ear hole”.
12. Had “a clip round’ lug oyle”.
Definitely had a few of thes e in me time.
13. Drown a Yorkshire pudding in thick gravy.
14. Been “telt tu’shut thi cake oyle! By yer’ ma fer’ answerin’ back”.
God forbid, I’d ever answer me parents back.
15. Been told by your Mam to “Giyor gawpin”.
16. Said: “be reyt” in absolutely every situation.
17. Have a flat cap and whippet.
18. Told your date you’re tight.
We can share some chips from chippy and a can of shandy if you’re lucky.
19. Believe a mug of Yorkshire Tea can resolve any problem.
20. Moaned about literally everything.