The Magpie Cafe in Whitby is a Yorkshire institution as much as Betty’s and Yorkshire Tea are. People flock from all over to taste their fish & chips and now National Geographic Magazine has named them as the top chippy in the UK.
Its beautifully battered fish and tasty chips are a meal not to be missed. Especially when eaten with a view out over Whitby harbour.
National Geographic, known for its photojournalism, it is one of the most widely read magazines of all time – and it’s named the Yorkshire chippy as its number one choice out of nine chip shops in the UK.
Its review read: “To be considered the best fish and chip shop in Whitby is no mean feat, given the sheer number of excellent options in the Yorkshire seaside town.
“It’s hard to find fault with The Magpie, and, while the fish and chips are naturally first rate, they’re actually a small part of an extensive menu that ranges from oysters and kippers to local lobster thermidor and a build-your-own fish platter.
“It’s well worth the queue, but tables need to be booked outside of lunch hour (noon-2pm).”
Check out the full list of fish and chip shops in the UK below:
- The Magpie Cafe, Whitby, Yorkshire
- Anstruther Fish Bar, Anstruther, Fife
- Oban Fish & Chips, Oban, Argyll & Bute
- Aldeburgh Fish & Chip Shop, Aldeburgh, Suffolk
- Fish City, Belfast
- Enoch’s Fish & Chips, Llandudno Junction, Conwy
- The Creel, Porthmadog, Gwynedd
- Chez Fred, Westbourne, Bournemouth, Dorset
- The Swan Restaurant & Takeaway, Southport, Merseyside